Re: [AMBER] nvidia tesla-t4 and amber

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 11:58:45 -0400

The important thing to realize about the Tesla T4 is that it is a
server-oriented device designed for low power consumption. One can install
and engage four T4s for the same electrical consumption as one V100, and I
expect that the aggregate throughput of the four cards would somewhat
exceed the V100, but at substantially reduced output per card.

Another thing to consider is price of the card. I hate to say it, but if
you don't pay the power bill (if your university does), then you have
little incentive to buy such energy-efficient things when a more powerful
RTX-2080Ti is available for about half the price.

The T4 is a great option for someone with deep pockets and a high demand
for scientific computing or other distributed, arithmetic-intensive or DL
problems. NVIDIA did a really good job balancing the computational
capacity and power consumption there. For an individual researcher,
though, the price point remains RTX-2080Ti.

Dave