[AMBER] MC barostat cause the system to stuck indefinitely

From: Zhiyi Wu <zhiyi.wu.msdtc.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 21:10:13 +0000

Dear Amber user,
I was trying to run an explicit solvent cpHMD simulation on a membrane protein system with amber18. After equilibrating the system in NVT ensemble for 200ps, I tried to move the system to NPT ensemble with MC barostat. However, MC barostat will cause the system to stuck indefinitely (~12 hours) in the first step but Berendsen will keep the system going normally.
MC barostat do work properly in non-MPI mode in a local machine on CPU. After equilibrating with MC barostat for 200ps, the system has been moved to the cluster to run in MPI mode again in a 16 core CPU node but it still stuck indefinitely, where the last few lines of the output file is:
 4. RESULTS

APPROXIMATING switch and d/dx switch using CUBIC SPLINE INTERPOLATION
using 5000.0 points per unit in tabled values
TESTING RELATIVE ERROR over r ranging from 0.0 to cutoff
|---------------------------------------------------
|---------------------------------------------------
| MC Barostat: Decreasing size of volume moves
| MC Barostat: Decreasing size of volume moves

The input file is:
Relax in NPT
&cntrl
 imin = 0, ! No minimization.
 ig = -1, ! pseudo-random number generator
 ntx = 5, ! Coordinates and velocities will be read
 irest = 1, ! Restart the simulation
 ntpr = 2500, ! Frequency of printing of the energy and its components.
 ntwx = 2500, ! Every ntwx steps, the coordinates will be written to the mdcrd file.
 ntwr = 10000,! Every ntwr steps during dynamics, the “restrt” file will be written.
 ntf = 2,
 ntc = 2, ! bonds involving hydrogen are constrained
 ntb = 2, ! constant pressure
 ntp = 2, ! 1:isotropic, 2:anisotropic, 3:semiisotropic
 barostat = 2, ! Monte Carlo barostat
 mcbarint = 50, ! Number of steps between the Monte Carlo barostat
 pres0 = 1.0, ! Reference pressure
 cut = 10.0, ! Non-bond cut off
 nstlim = 2500000,! Perform MD for 500,000 steps = 1 ns
 nscm = 1250, ! removal of COM
 dt = 0.002, ! timestep
 tempi = 300.0, ! Initial temperature.
 temp0 = 300.0, ! Reference temperature at which the system is to be kept,
 ntt = 3, ! Langevin dynamics
 gamma_ln = 2.0, ! Collision frequency
 ntr = 1, ! position restraint
 restraintmask = '(:1-207)&(!.H=)',
 restraint_wt = 25.0, !The weight (in kcal/mol−Å^2) for the positional restraints.
 icnstph=2 ! cpHMD in explicit solvent
 ntcnstph=100 ! Attempt protonation every 100 steps
 ntrelax=100 ! 200 fs relaxed solvent distribution
 solvph=7.0 ! pH of the Golgi pH
 saltcon=0.1 ! Physiological salt concentration
/
Kind regards,
Zhiyi Wu