Re: [AMBER] Novel Force Field Parameters for Aromatic Dihedrals

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 12:36:00 -0400

if I understand, you're rotating a dihedral inside the ring, which leads to
breaking of one of the bonds. GAFF is not intended to do this (and MM in
general is not normally intended to model bond breaking or formation).
You're calculating the dihedral energy, but inside a ring what you're
seeing is the energy associated with the bond distortion needed to rotate
around a bond in a ring.
Do you expect this bond to break in your simulations? If so, you should use
a different approach. If you're just wondering about parameters for small
changes to the ring (withing normal thermal energy), then using GAFF is
probably more reasonable.