Re: [AMBER] Negative dihedral angle n glycan simulation

From: Lachele Foley <lf.list.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 15:13:57 -0400

Replying to the list so this info is more generally available in case
others wonder.

The files look ok best I can tell without digging really deeply. The
GLYCAM force field does have some negative amplitudes in the dihedral
terms. So, it is certainly possible to have negative dihedral values.
This is a small effect, and the presence of protein or other residues
usually make it so that the overall values are negative. But, this
file is just an oligosaccharide in water. Water has no dihedrals, so
no dihedral terms. And, the specific oligosaccharide contains some of
the atom types that can have negative values in their associated
dihedrals. I didn't check every dihedral individually (because that's
a lot of work), but I think it's ok that you have negative DIHED
values. If you're really worried, try using parmtop utilities in
AmberTools too look closely at all the dihedrals. Those tools work
well.

Maybe ask the gamd folks if they can make it possible for negative
dihedral energies not to cause trouble?

It might not be a problem anyway. Consider the amount of the effect
compared to what gamd does. If you are trying to increase sampling,
you're probably already messing with the energy function. If the
DIHED values are small compared to other bonded energies, it might not
make a lot of difference to the outcome, depending on exactly what
gamd is doing. Keep in mind that dihedral energies are just
corrections to the other bonded terms, at least in the GLYCAM
philosophy.

--
:-) Lachele
Lachele Foley