Re: [AMBER] Set the correct number of CPUs and GPU - benchmark - Amber 14

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 09:33:17 -0600

Hi Eduardo,

A few things to note here. Firstly you are unlikely to see good scaling between your nodes unless they have very high end connectivity (e.g. infiniband) between them and even then only for CPU runs. As such I would not try to run that benchmark script across nodes. It was never designed for that. Thus you should simply set CPU_COUNT=12 and GPU_COUNT=2 - that will run each benchmark in the following ways:

1) Using 12 CPU cores on a node
2) Using GPU 0 on a node
3) Using GPU 1 on a node
4) Using GPU 0 and GPU 1 to each run a separate benchmark - performance should match items 2 and 3 above. If it doesn't then your cooling is insufficient.
5) Using GPU 0 and GPU 1 to jointly run the benchmark - on K20s you may still see some improvement here but on more modern faster GPUs you are unlikely to see performance improvement by using more than 1 GPU at once for a single calculation (the exception being large > 5K atom GB calculations).

Note when running on GPUs the CPU count is irrelevant - 1 CPU core is used per GPU and it's job is primarily just I/O.

I hope that helps
All the best
Ross