Re: [AMBER] GPU card for AMBER

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 10:15:02 +0000

Hi Fabian,

Not sure how you are concluding the Titan XP gives the best performance per money. Take a look at the first plot here: http://ambermd.org/GPUPerformance.php#RCWBenchmarks <http://ambermd.org/GPUPerformance.php#RCWBenchmarks>

Or directly http://ambermd.org/images/gpu-price-perf.png <http://ambermd.org/images/gpu-price-perf.png>

This is cost per nanosecond relative to a GTX-1080. As of today the RTX-2080 offers the best performance per dollar. The other option if you favor raw performance would be the RTX-2080TI. This provides performance equivalent to, and in a lot of cases better than the V100s at a fraction of the cost.

So you choice is really between the 2080 and 2080TI.

Note do NOT buy the NVIDIA reference design cards, which have twin fans. The cooling is awful and there are even reports of people buying them for gaming seeing them catch fire. Make sure you get the single fan blower design.

All the best
Ross