Re: [AMBER] RMSD mask selection and closestwater clarification

From: Korey M Reid <koreyr.unr.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 22:18:28 +0000

Hello Dan,
Thank you for the clarification on the selection, I found that syntax in a discussion about distance selection and I had been confused but my efforts to use just "(:1-N<:R)&:WAT" was not working either,which, I had assumed that this may have been an issue with less than all three atoms being within the cutoff, so I attempted things lastly including the syntax I reported; I am grateful. With this syntax, "(:1-N<:R)&:WAT", will I select all atoms belonging to a WAT molecules if one or more atoms are within the cutoff, or is it limited to the atoms within the cutoff from any protein residue in my system? I am under the impression that it will do the later, only select atoms within the cutoff. I have not successfully used that syntax to return any water molecules within that distance, instead if I use the syntax, "(:k<:R):&:WAT", I get back the single residue k and all waters within R, which is great but adds the necessity of a for loop and some post processing to get all the water residues saved and whole, at t
he moment I run a for loop over k and I select for :WAT.O, following your response of course, and have to use a python script to create an array of unique waters. I would like to avoid this since checking my systems is cumbersome at 300x150ps NVE trajectories.
To follow up 1) I am forcing the mask to only operate on the first frame, for my analysis I want only the waters that are present within a certain radius from the surface and mostly isolated to a specific region so I can compare these bound waters to others with similar relative dynamics. Thank you for clarifying the usage of closest waters also, this is very enlightening with respect to injecting the output into the strip command which looks promising.

Thank you and with best,
Korey