Re: [AMBER] pi-pi And Aromatic Interactions

From: Christina Bergonzo <cbergonzo.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 08:49:58 -0400

Hi,

I wanted to give a more nuanced look at the pi-pi and cation-pi interaction
in MD force fields.

While there is no explicit force field term for pi-pi or cation-pi
interactions, you can of course look for their effects, which are indeed
represented using MD - otherwise my DNA duplexes would be in trouble!
Force fields rely on van der Waals to pick up the effects of these
interactions, and generally they can capture those effects - of course,
this is modulated by the desired level of accuracy.

You can take a look at these papers to get an understanding of the issue
w.r.t. QM:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22260616
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/bbm%3A978-3-319-15382-7%2F1.pdf

Here is an example where we measured base eversion pathways, noted a
cation-pi interaction, and experimental collaborators made the mutation to
disrupt it, causing catalytic activity of the protein with an (aromatic)
damaged DNA base to decrease, but leaving the activity of the
(non-aromatic) apurinic damage intact:
https://academic.oup.com/nar/article/44/2/683/2468125

And here is an example of base stacking in RNA, where it is argued that
pi-pi stacking is overstabilized:
http://www.pnas.org/content/110/42/16820
http://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/suppl/2013/09/11/1309392110.DCSupplemental/pnas.201309392SI.pdf

For analysis of these types of interactions, I would make sure to look at
not only the energies but also the distances and geometries of pi-pi or
cation-pi binding pairs.

Hope this helps,
Christina