Re: [AMBER] Soft-core alchemical transformation in TI

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 12:57:24 -0400

There are two ways to do it:

1.) Map the extra dummy atoms of ethanol to methanol: in this way, each
atom has its exact mapped partner in methanol and ethanol, and they will
have exactly the same coordinates. The masses of atoms do not affect the
binding free energy so you don’t need to worry.

2.) Treat different atoms as “softcore regions.” In this way, the
different atoms will move independently.

The second way is preferred, as the result will usually be much more stable.

You can find the parameter settings in the manual (p426) and a step-by-step
example in http://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial9/index.html.

Best of luck!

Dave and Taisung