[AMBER] what are the benefits of cuda9 vs. 8 with amber 18?

From: Chris Neale <candrewn.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 22:41:11 -0600

Hello,

I've compiled amber18 with cuda8 and gcc 4.x and I'm testing that
throughput now in comparison to the same setup with amber16. As I work
through these tests, I wonder if anyone has any data to indicate if cuda9
offers any improvement. Also, do more recent versions of gcc or openmpi
offer any improvements in amber18 performance?

I intuit from this post: http://archive.ambermd.org/201805/0013.html that
cuda9 doesn't really help. But I could be over interpreting that.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if there is at the moment any
performance-based motivation to move from amber16 to amber18 (we already
bought amber18, I'm just hesitant to actually switch untill there is a good
motivation). Presumably the next gen of GPUs will give extra advantage with
amber18 over amber16 in any event.

Thank you,
Chris.