Re: [AMBER] variety of errors in membrane/umbrella sampling simulations

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 17:00:42 -0400

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018, Baker, Joseph wrote:

> (3) ERROR: max pairlist cutoff must be less than unit cell max sphere
> radius!

How big is your simulation box? We recently discovered that pmemd.cuda
can crash with large forces when run on small systems (with a dimension
less than roughly 30 Ang -- sorry, I don't have exact details
available.)

> I should also add that at our site we have spot-checked one of the failing
> windows by continuing it on the CPU instead of the GPU for the 2nd 50 ns,
> and that works fine as well. So it appears that problems arise in only some
> windows and only when trying to run the second 50 ns of these simulations
> on a GPU device.

Above would be consistent with my speculation. Try running a short
simulation using the Amber18 code. That will tell you if your system is
susceptible to this particular problem, by exiting with an informative
error message.

...regards...dac

cc-ing to Dave Cerutti: independent of this particular users' problem,
we need to the get the small system check back-ported to Amber16.