Re: [AMBER] variety of errors in membrane/umbrella sampling simulations

From: Baker, Joseph <bakerj.tcnj.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 14:47:40 -0400

Dear Ian,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. A few replies:

*Do you get error 3 ERROR: max pairlist cutoff must be less than unit
cell max sphere radius! Right at the start of a run or during the
simulation? If it's at the start we have definitely seen this but never
during a run, so if it is the former then again this will be related to 1)
and 2) but if this occurs during the run then something really odd is
happening.*

We are indeed getting this error during the simulations. Checking just a
few of the times we have seen this we get max pairlist errors at step
318000, 858000, and 749000 in various windows. I have pasted an example of
this just below.

NSTEP = 858000 TIME(PS) = 1716.000 TEMP(K) = 308.66 PRESS =
76.6
Etot = -53744.4777 EKtot = 24145.6465 EPtot =
-77890.1242
BOND = 2038.4584 ANGLE = 8602.8268 DIHED =
5256.6803
1-4 NB = 1824.2334 1-4 EEL = 8901.8528 VDWAALS =
2646.5133
EELEC = -107160.9286 EHBOND = 0.0000 RESTRAINT =
 0.2393
EAMBER (non-restraint) = -77890.3635
EKCMT = 6372.1802 VIRIAL = 5789.1127 VOLUME =
352390.6015
                                                   Density =
 1.0053

NMR restraints: Bond = 0.239 Angle = 0.000 Torsion = 0.000
| ERROR: max pairlist cutoff must be less than unit cell max sphere
radius!

*4) Nan's always a bad sign that something has gone hideously wrong, are
the Nan's electrostatics? vdW's? or bonded terms? If these are occurring in
the bonded terms then this looks again to me that it's shake related.*

The NaN's actually show up in the kinetic energy (and then consequently,
Etot and Temp). I have pasted an example just below. The density is
starting to drop when the NaN's occur as this is when the system explodes.
Just before that the density is fine (I have pasted a series of density
values below as well)

NSTEP = 4000 TIME(PS) = 8.000 TEMP(K) = NaN PRESS =
1055.2
Etot = NaN EKtot = NaN EPtot =
-76287.2741
BOND = 2141.8520 ANGLE = 8462.7845 DIHED =
5315.4360
1-4 NB = 1790.4408 1-4 EEL = 8768.4739 VDWAALS =
2190.5317
EELEC = -104957.3664 EHBOND = 0.0000 RESTRAINT =
 0.5734
EAMBER (non-restraint) = -76287.8475
EKCMT = 4761.7586 VIRIAL = -4018.8030 VOLUME =
385407.6003
                                                   Density =
 0.9195

Density = 1.0070
                                                   Density =
 1.0259
                                                   Density =
 1.0172
                                                   Density =
 1.0127
                                                   Density =
 0.9195
                                                   Density =
 0.8502
                                                   Density =
 0.7922
                                                   Density =
 0.7407

*2) What timestep and shake parameters are you using? If you are using HMR
I'd immediately drop the timestep to 2fs or even 1fs to see if this is the
issue.*

We are using a 2 fs time step, ntc=ntf=2 in our simulations. I've actually
had very good results with HMR in other unrelated simulations.

For periodic box errors we are getting them at varying positions in the
trajectory (again after an okay first 50 ns). For example at step counts:
1727000, 1490000, 582000 for a few windows. I've attached a PDF image of
our box edge lengths in a simulation that fails from PBC to show that there
does not seem to be any drastic fluctuation in the dimensions near where
the simulation stops.

*3) What pressure coupling algorithm are you using? My group always use
Berendsen when running these type of simulations as we have never tried it
with the MC barostsat, in principle it should not make any difference but
you never know.*

We are using the Berendsen pressure coupling algorithm as well.

*1) Run the simulation for 100ns in one go, from your e-mail you have cut
down the length of simulation, by going in the opposite direction if you
still get the errors then it removes the possibility that it is a restart
issue. If you can run multiple 100ns without this error then it would be
giving a strong indication that the problem is related to the issue of
restarts and may be a lot easier to diagnose.*

Thanks for this suggestion. We are trying this now with a few of the
windows that have failed when restarting them to see if that makes a
difference.

Kind regards,
Joe

------