Re: [AMBER] Boost not linking when compiling on Mac

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 08:53:46 -0400

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018, Gustaf Olsson wrote:

> So I switched from MacPorts to Homebrew when switching computers. This
> meant going from GNU compilers to using CLANG which worked without a
> hitch on AmberTools17, though this time I’m getting an error.
>
> ./configure -macAccelerate gnu
>
> Testing the clang++ compiler with boost:
> clang++ -fPIC -lboost_thread -lboost_system -o testp testp.cpp
>
> Warning: Could not link to boost. Ensure boost-thread, boost-system and boost headers are installed.

Wow: homebrew seems weird to me. It looks like it is following Apple's
strange (to me) policy of having gcc (in spite of its name)
point to the clang compiler and not to the GNU compiler. If things work
without a hitch for you, that is great. But most users, and
certainly those using macports, should follow this rule:

   if the "gcc" in your PATH is really clang, you should use the
   clang option for configure, not the gnu option.

Concerning packmol_memgen: as far as I can tell, for now, this option
only works for Linux. I'm sure some smart Mac user can figure out how
to get the boost libraries either by compiling from source, or from
macports. If someone provides detailed instructions, we'll create an
update patch. We apologize for the inconvenience.

...dac