Re: [AMBER] Transformation from cartesian to torsion space

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:39:50 -0500

You can check the various codes--perhaps the easiest to access is mdgx,
based on the DLPoly implementation. Look in the file BondContrib.c, which
is #include'd multiple times in Bonded.c. On line 471 of BondContrib.c,
there is the comment "// Transform the dihedral forces to cartesian
coordinates." It's all a bunch of chain rules--the transformation for
angular forces is a bit easier to hash through, but in each case you can
verify that the fomulaic sums of forces on all atoms add to zero. The
conversion of two-body forces to Cartesian space also rests on a chain
rule, but it's so simple and intuitive that the technicality is often
overlooked.

Cheers,
Dave