Re: [AMBER] Amber 16.12 and 12-6-4 force field Problem

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 22:14:06 -0500

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 3:10 PM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> It is firmly the responsibility of the person adding the new methodology
> to properly deal with this.

​Glad to see we're throwing grad students under the bus in public forums
now.

Everybody breaks stuff (like when you changed the ig=-1 default behavior --
recommended production behavior that was not tested in *any* of the tests
-- and cost me months of hunting down the resulting bug). Nobody knows
everything our programs do, nor can they predict all combinations of
options to put in error traps everywhere they should be.

Expecting a single person to get all details of code they write correct is
a ridiculous expectation of even experienced coders. So as long as that's
the development model (as it is in many different codes), we'll have to
rely on people doing their best and not jumping down their throat when a
mistake is made.

my 2c.