Re: [AMBER] AmberTools with Amber11

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 21:58:47 -0500

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 2:35 PM, Jennifer L. Muzyka <
jennifer.muzyka.centre.edu> wrote:

> I’m preparing to install Amber11. What I’ve read in the archives suggests
> I should be using AmberTools15. Do I also need to install AmberTools1.5?
> The AmberTools15 installation was easy, but I’m struggling with AT1.5 on my
> Mac (Sierra, 10.12). Perhaps I don’t need AT1.5 at all? That would be
> delightful.
>
> AmberTools15 is in the amber14 directory. Assuming I don’t need AT1.5,
> should Amber11 go into an amber11 directory, separate from the AmberTools15?

​AmberTools 1.5 is required for an Amber 11 install.

Note that Amber 11 is *old* and has long since stopped being supported. It
was last released in 2010, if I recall correctly. For context, the current
Mac OS at that time was OS X 10.6 -- the very first OS released exclusively
for the (at-the-time) Intel CPUs. The likelihood that you could get Amber
11 to work on a new Mac OS is quite low.

But you don't actually need to use Amber 11 at all, since sander has since
been included as part of AmberTools, which is freely available. I'd highly
recommend using the latest version of AmberTools (17) than trying to get an
archaic version of Amber that I doubt any developer has tried installing in
many years.

If you must get Amber 11 installed for some reason, I'd recommend going
with a Linux machine and getting ready to spend a good deal of time trying
to compile it, fixing the compile-time errors (changing source code,
configure, whatever seems necessary), and repeating until it works.

Good luck,