[AMBER] Cpptraj to center molecules

From: Aseel Bala <balaahme.msu.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 15:36:06 -0400

Hello everyone,

I am using Amber to center a cluster of hydrogen bonded alcohol molecules in
a frame.

Say molecules number 4 and 5 are hydrogen bonded to one another (and I have
verified this by looking at O-O distances and O-H-O angles and made sure
they match my criteria).

I am currently using the following syntax with cpptraj to center the
molecules 4 and 5 in the frame:

parm ../../../simbox.prmtop

trajin ../../1801.inpcrd

center :4,5 origin

image origin center familiar

trajout c4_5.pdb pdb

go

quit

This works fine if the two molecules are near each other in a given frame.

However, I am running into an issue when 4 is on one edge of the frame and 5
is on the other edge. In these situations, 4 is actually H-bonded to an
'image' of 5 produced by the periodic boundary condition. Let's call this
image 5prime.

In this case, cpptraj actually centers 4 and 5 instead of 4 and 5prime.

Is there a way that cpptraj can be used to center a molecule and the closest
image of another molecule to it? So that I would be able to have 4 and
5prime in the center?

Thank you very much in advance!

--

Aseel M. Bala