Re: [AMBER] gpu %utils vs mem used

From: Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 21:19:42 +0000

Hi,

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 21:03 Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> > Note since AMBER sits entirely on a GPU so you can run multiple jobs on a
> >> node without contention (1 per GPU). This is not true with Gromacs due
> >> all the CPU to CPU and CPU to GPU communication that floods the
> >> communication channels between CPU cores and the PCI-E bus to the GPU.
> As
> >> such you can't reliably run say 2 Gromacs jobs on the same node where
> one
> >> uses 20 cores and 2 GPUs and another uses the remaining 20 cores and
> >> remaining 2 GPUs.
> >>

> > Uh, no. These run fine (ie *reliable*) and when set up properly will
> > naturally run out of phase with eachother and maximise throughput. See
> e.g.
> >
> http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcc.24030/abstract;jsessionid=3CD2B4EE326378381D60FCB0BD1B26A0.f02t02
> > (or same on arxiv.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Only if you go to the trouble of placing threads properly and locking
> things to the right cores and corresponding GPUs.

Most people interested in this are running multiple copies of the same kind
of simulation, and this is managed automatically with gmx_mpi mdrun -multi.
As that paper says ;-)

This, and the complexity in choosing hardware for Gromacs as illustrated by
> the plethora of options and settings highlighted in that paper, is
> something that is generally way beyond the average user and a pain in the
> butt to configure properly with most queuing systems. So while it works in
> theory my experience is that this is very difficult to achieve reliably in
> practice.

Indeed, not very easy to use. But thoroughly reliable.

So we can learn, how does one target different AMBER simulations to
different GPUs?

Mark

All the best