Re: [AMBER] problem Finding entropy

From: Ramin Salimi <ramin.salimi01.utrgv.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 12:37:49 +0000

Dr. Case

Each simulation at particular length was set for 4ns, containing 2000 snapshots. You pointed on a very right direction. When I look at the trajectories, What's odd to me is they vibrate very very small; I was expecting to see bubbles after a very short time, in other words, if it is initially in S-form DNA structure restrained at for example 50 A0, then it should develop a hole or "denaturation bubble" after a very short time, and the number of holes, to be viewed, to increase with length. I was expecting to view this but didn't. They all vibrate very very locally in their positions, that's it. My take was the restraining constant is too big so it doesn't let them vibrate. In fact, the simulations have a tendency to be unstable right at the transition point, so I thought that I should have treated the DNA gently by lowering the restraining force constant from k=100(I didn't try that though).

On how to calculate the entropy, that would be AWESOME if someone could help with that. What I was expecting, planning, to do was to get a matrix as the multiplication of mass and fluctuations matrices, then multiply it by some constant, then take the determinant, and then take the log of the determinant to get to the entropy. But from that file, evecs.dat, which supposedly carries the diagonalized matrix, how can someone add some other matrix to it or multiply it by some numbers, or how to take the log of that? When things get automated, your hands are tight. Simply put, given that diagonalized matrix, evecs.dat, somebody should be able to do algebraic operations on it, like multiplication by numbers, taking the log, or the determinant, etc. But how should I do that?

Kind Regards

Ramin