Re: [AMBER] Free energy calculation of Metalloprotein

From: David Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 09:50:18 -0400

On Fri, Jul 07, 2017, Garima Singh wrote:

> How do I calculate binding free energy of a
> metalloprotein complex interacting with Cd ion using Amber14?

Short answer: you can't do this sort of calculation in any version of Amber.

Longer answer: If you really want to do this, start with a thorough literature
search for similar calculations. You will probably need some combination of
quantum electronic structure theory plus statistical averaging. A lot would
depend on the details of the coordination geometry around the Cd site. You
would have to invest a *lot* of time to do a good job; hence, you would want
to be sure that estimating a single number (the binding free energy) would be
worth the effort.

....dac