Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA Delta total results

From: David Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 09:32:45 -0400

On Fri, Jul 07, 2017, Elvis Martis wrote:

> inp=2 is default.

My personal advice, based mainly on looking at other people's results:

inp=1 is a more stable option, and "works" for a wider range of inputs (e.g.
nucleic acids, odd ligands, odd geometries). I would recommend using this
option first, especially when you are trying to see if things make sense.

inp=2 can work well in cases close to what it was designed for. But note
that the absolute energies for inp=2 may be quite different from those for
inp=1, even when trends in binding affinities are the same as (or better than)
those from inp=1.

Ray can weigh in here with more detailed advice. My conclusions should be
taken with caution, since I don't do very many of these calculations any more.
And I don't know what the defaults are--may depend on how you invoking the
pbsa codes.

....dac

[Shameless plug: MM/RISM avoids the issue of dividing the solvation free
energy into to polar and non-polar terms. But it hasn't been used nearly as
widely, and one has to be careful to use "corrected" estimates of the
solvation free energy.]