Re: [AMBER] error running mmpbsa

From: giulia palermo <giulia.palermo83.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 11:50:00 -0700

Dear Elvis,

thank you for your reply. I'll reply below and I also have other questions.

I know that the absolute values of these number has no meaning. Indedd, I
am comparing this system with others in which I introduced mutations.

I notice that my output file prints out the following warning:

WARNING: INCONSISTENCIES EXIST WITHIN INTERNAL POTENTIAL
TERMS. THE VALIDITY OF THESE RESULTS ARE HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE

By searching on the web, I found on this post (
http://archive.ambermd.org/201401/0010.html ) that this error is related to
the fact that MMPBSA.py makes sure that bonded interactions (specifically
the BOND, ANGLE, DIHED, and 1-4 nonbonded interactions) completely cancel
out (i.e., in the Final energy differences are zero).
They also say that in a specific case, one can be free to ignore this
warning. This is when tleap deals with improper torsions with 2 atoms of
the same type.In this case , the DIHED contribution to the binding free
energy is negligible (but still has at least one frame larger than the
0.001 kcal/mol cutoff that MMPBSA.py uses to issue a warning). In this
case, one can ignore the warning.

I think that this is my case, since I get:

Differences (Complex - Receptor - Ligand):
Energy Component Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean
BOND 0.0000 0.0000
0.0000
ANGLE 0.0000 0.0001
0.0000
DIHED 0.0013 0.0112
0.0008

I also have two other very important questions:

1. As you suggested, I have introduced the keyword entropy=1, in order to
perform entropy calculations too. I hope this is sufficient for performing
proper delta energy calculations including entropy contribution.

2. I am comparing the calculated energetics with 5 analogous systems in
which I have introduced mutations.
When I introduce only one mutation, the computed eneergetcs differ for ~50
kcal/mol. However, when introducing 5 mutations, I calculate a very high
differences in delta energy (i.e., 274.5471 kcal/mol for the wild type
system, 295.7256 kcal/mol for the system with one mutation, *21371334.3564
kcal/mol for the system with 4 mutatations*) . I obtain the same trend both
with Generalized Born and with Poisson Boltzmann, as well as including and
excluding the entropy term.

Looking at the simulations, I see that in the presence of 4 mutations, the
nucleic acid undergoes relevant conformational changes, even with
distortion of the backbone and fliping out of the bases.

*Can this be a reason of this very huge energy difference??? *Or do you
think that this result is due to some errors in the preparation of the
system? I have used the same input file and checked the topology. Moreover,
the BOND, ANGLE, DIHED contributions are zero (only DIHED = 0.0010).

I hope you have some advises for these issues

Thank you very much

Giulia