Re: [AMBER] error running mmpbsa

From: Elvis Martis <elvis.martis.bcp.edu.in>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 04:25:49 +0000

Hi Giulia,

Here are the answers in red ink

By using the GENERALIZED BORN approximation, I get a final Delta
Energy of *49.3378
*kcal/mol. Whereas, by using the POISSON BOLTZMANN approximation, I get a
final Delta Energy of *254.6772* kcal/mol/.

>>> I don't see anything suspicious here considering that you are working with protein-protein interactions and such high values can be expected. However, these values have no meaning in an absolute sense. Had you changed you ligand and then compared the two GB and PB values you would have gotten an idea about which of them was a better at binding to the receptor. Have you considered the entropy component of binding?? Otherwise, these values are just the enthalpy of binding and not the "deltaG(binding)". Moreover, a lot depends on what atomic radii you have used (for ex. mbondi2, mbondi3.......) and also on what internal dielectric constant you are using. Refer to these papers to get more insights into how various tunable parameters play a role in the accuracy and reliability of MM-PBSA and MM-GBSA calculations.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ci100275a

http://pubs.rsc.org/-/content/articlelanding/2014/cp/c4cp01388c#!divAbstract

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp404160y

http://pubs.rsc.org/is/content/articlelanding/2016/cp/c6cp03670h#!divAbstract
Moreover, for GB calculations you can consider using various GB models [for ex. igb = 1, 2, 5 and 8 (ambertools 16 and above)]
I would like to ask you if these energies are realistic considering the
size and characteristics of my system, which are the following: I am
dealing with an RNA dimer, composed of a total of 3219 atoms (2153 for the
first monomer, considered as "receptor" and 1066 atoms for the second
monomer, considered as "ligand"). The original system includes Mg2+ ions
(co-crystallized) and Na+ ions (used as counterions to balance the charge
of the system). For the MMPBSA calculation, I have deleted the ions and
considered the dry receptor, the dry ligand and the dry complex.
>> It would be very difficult to comment on how realistic these values are unless you have some validation sets. Refer to these papers and it will guide you through

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022283603006107

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcc.10379/full

I see from the post in the mailing list (
http://archive.ambermd.org/201208/0072.html) that they get unreasonable
results and that a reasonable value must be of the order of *-200
*kcal/mol *(negative
energy) .*
>> I am afraid I cannot comment anything on that results.
Can you please advise me on that?
There is something I am doing wrong in the set-up of the system?

>> I don't see anything wrong in your setup from what you have written.
Shell I include the ions in the MMPBSA calculation?? And if so, would the
MMPBSA method still be valid?

>> NO, the mobile ions added for the sake of neutralising the systems needs to be deleted and you have correctly followed this.

I hope this helps.

                   Best Regards

[photo]

Elvis Martis
PhD Student (Computational Chemistry)
 at Bombay College of Pharmacy

A Kalina, Santacruz [E], Mumbai 400098, INDIA
W www.elvismartis.in<https://webapp.wisestamp.com/www.elvismartis.in>
Skype. adrian_elvis12<https://webapp.wisestamp.com/#>

[https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/P0F8-p0kwxKdscp6zsT-ZSRttk9OJEsBGiaXej_H2ERz8n2ma5SLHFAWJdKL-wqOlXSGjbmEyga9C8lmU1bs-_yPIq3CnazA5eJVDYjce1r-34uwxqjjRnmAtE473lEq28nSHQ=s0-d-e1-ft#https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons_for_colors_32/linkedin.png]<http://www.linkedin.com/in/elvisadrianmartis/>

________________________________
by including these keywords in the following input file (see below), I have
been able to compete the calculations.
However, I have a very important question related to the computed energies.

[...]

Thank you very much
Giulia

&general
   endframe=200, keep_files=2, interval=10,
/
&gb
  igb=2, saltcon=0.100,
/