Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA.py with non-standard residues?

From: Marc van der Kamp <marcvanderkamp.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 07:42:19 +0100

Dear Jason or others,

Thank you for your reply.

On 8 June 2017 at 04:55, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Marc van der Kamp <
> marcvanderkamp.gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > Dear Amber list,
> >
> > This is quite a naive question (as I don't usually use MMPBSA.py) - but I
> > am struggling with how to run MMPBSA.py with a protein-ligand system in
> > which I also have a non-standard residue in the protein.
> >
> > I've generated topology files and trajectory files containing the complex
> > (without solvent), the protein/receptor only (with non-standard residue)
> > and the ligand only.
> >
> > The trouble is that - according to the manual - I can only specify a
> > solvated trajectory file, a receptor one and a ligand one. The complex
> > trajectory is thus generated by MMPBSA.py,
>

> ​Where does it say this in the manual? You need to specify all of those
> topology files, including the complex. If you omit the solvated prmtop,
> the input trajectory will be assumed to be already stripped of solvent and
> ions. If you omit both the receptor and ligand topology files, it will be
> assumed you only want a "stability" calculation (energies of a single
> species).
> ​

Sorry for not being clear before:
I do indeed specify all those *topology* files. The problem is with the
*trajectory* files generated. Even though the topology files for the
complex and the receptor contain the non-standard residue (which has
residue name KPI, thus not one of the ion names in the default strip mask),
the *trajectory* files do not - which is why MMPBSA.py appears to fail.

The example command I specified (where strip.solvated.top is the
complex.top file):

$AMBERHOME/bin/MMPBSA.py -O -sp solvated.top -i mmgbsa.i -cp
strip.solvated.top -rp receptor.top -lp ligand.top -y md.crd -yr rec.nc -yl
lig.nc &

Many thanks,
Marc