Re: [AMBER] A9 tutorial analyse.sh problem

From: Robert Wohlhueter <bobwohlhueter.earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 11:40:55 -0400

David,

Your long-winded response is very helpful to me. In fact, I'm a python
agnostic, whose only credo is "whatever kldge works!"!

Currently I have three python instances (in addition to anber's);
v.27and 3.4 via Synaptic from the Ubuntu repository; v. 3.5 indeed from
Anaconda (whose directory layout is distinct from the repository
layout.) My approach has been a set of "use_python_<version>"-scripts
to tailor executables and environmental-variables to what I think is a
particular program's needs; in amber's case for python v.2.7.

Following the cue of "amber.sh/amber.csh", I'm inclined to rethink my
approach, and to create "setup-<program)"-scripts, at least fro the
python-dependent programs I use regularly.

The situation is somewhat analogous to that with java. With java there
is the "update-java-alternatives" script, which re-links java
executables for a specific version.

I suppose what I could really use would be a sort of python primer, not
so much on the language syntax, but on these general issues of module
search paths, etc.

Bob W.