Re: [AMBER] GPUs parallel problem

From: Meng Wu <wumeng.shanghaitech.edu.cn>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 09:36:59 +0000

Hi Andreas,

 Thanks for your answer, and also thanks Alican and Ross.

 I have read the link's information. And I used "check_p2p" program to our systrm, it's true that only GPUs 0 and 1 can talk to each other and GPUs 2 and 3 can talk to each other, but if I want to use the four GPUs in parallel, is there any solution to solve this problem? Or I need to rebuild the platform?

 Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thank you in advance!

All the best,
Meng Wu

------------------------------

Have a look at this: http://ambermd.org/gpus/

"In other words on a 4 GPU machine you can run a total of two by two GPU
jobs, one on GPUs 0 and 1 and one on GPUs 2 and 3. Running a calculation
across more than 2 GPUs will result in peer to peer being switched off
which will likely mean the calculation will run slower than if it had
been run on a single GPU. To see which GPUs in your system can
communicate via peer to peer you can run the 'gpuP2PCheck' program you
built above."

On 05/04/2017 10:26 AM, Meng Wu wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have a problem about GPUs parallel met these days. There are 4 GPUs/node in our lab, when I use two of them ("export CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=0,1/2,3 mpirun -np 2 pmemd.cuda.MPI -O ..." ), the speed is normal; but when I use all("export CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=0,1,2,3 mpirun -np 4 pmemd.cuda.MPI -O ..."") , the speed dropped dramatically. I don't know what's the problem in and how to deal with it if I want to use 4 GPUs in parallel to get a higher speed.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thank you in advance!
>
> All the best,
> Wu Meng

M.Sc. Andreas Tosstorff
Lehrstuhl f?r Pharmazeutische Technologie und Biopharmazie
Department Pharmazie
LMU M?nchen
Butenandtstr. 5-13 ( Haus B)
81377 M?nchen