Re: [AMBER] Diffusion and permeability coefficients

From: Chris Neale <candrewn.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:16:12 -0600

Diffusion along the US order parameter, computed from US, is almost always
going to over-estimate the diffusion rate if there are any hidden free
energy barriers (i.e., dG barriers orthogonal to your US order parameter),
which there very often are. It's likely that the dehydration cost of those
two zwitterionic groups on your solute is higher than the cost to deform
the bilayer and allow hydration of your solute while it's near the bilayer
center. If that's true, then you're going to run into the common orthogonal
barrier near the bilayer center which involves flipping the hydrating
defect from one side of the bilayer to the other. Your US dG profile and
diffusion tell you nothing about this so you will underestimate the mean
time required to cross the bilayer.

Chris.