Re: [AMBER] Regarding forcefields for Z-DNA

From: Debayan Chakraborty <debayan.ch.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 14:29:24 -0600

Dear Yogeshwar,
                            I think Prof Sponer is absolutely spot on. The
B-DNA to Z-DNA transformation is one of the slowest transformations in
biology, and it is really unlikely to ever occur during unbiased MD.
Several groups have used targeted MD or adaptively biased MD to study this
transition. Recently, we looked at the B to Z transformation using the
Discrete path sampling technique, and the pathways that we found looked
pretty complex, with barriers which are much higher than kT. We used the
ff99bsc0 force-field with the epsilon-zeta corrections (see Zgarbova et.
al., JCTC, 14, 2339, 2013). The topography of the free energy landscape
that we found suggest why you would never see the B-> Z transition on the
time scale of a typical MD, and B-DNA is the global minimum under
physiological conditions.

You suggested that you saw the alpha, gamma, epsilon and zeta angles change
during MD, but again without the chi torsional flips one cannot reach the
B-DNA structure starting from Z-DNA. Are you sure that the structure that
you see is not a left-handed form of B-DNA ? What checks have you performed
(In terms of minor groove width, helicity, etc...) to confirm that the
structure you see at the end is indeed the canonical form of B-DNA ?

Best,
Debayan Chakraborty
Postdoctoral research scholar,
The University of Texas at Austin, USA