Re: [AMBER] compatibility issues

From: Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 14:06:31 -0500

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Huang Jing <jing.huang8911.gmail.com> wrote:

> In amber 16 manual page 26, python 2.7 and later version is required and
> the manual contains nothing about python 3;

Isn't Python 3 is later version (vs python 2.7)?
I believe we explicitly mention about python 3.4 in "2.2.3. Supported
Python versions" (page 27).

The only reason amber use python2.7 as default because other packages
having interface with amber such as phenix, pyrosetta, ... only works with
py2.

> From my knowledge, python 2 and python 3 are two different schemes

Not very different. Python 3 changes some syntax (nicer) and add more
(nice) stuff.
 http://python-future.org/compatible_idioms.html

and they
> developed separately,

> athough some simply python scripts can run properly
> both with python 2 and python 3;

ParmEd (https://github.com/Amber-MD/ParmEd), Pytraj (
https://github.com/Amber-MD/pytraj),
nglview (https://github.com/Amber-MD/nglview) are three examples of
complicated projects in AMBER that can be run in both python 2 and python 3
without changing anything.
(of course, you need to use the same python version after compiling some C
extensions)

cheers
Hai

jing