Re: [AMBER] DIfferences between thermostats

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 17:42:05 -0500

The thing you need to worry about is whether the thermostat will affect the
diffusivity of the water, as well as how the water model itself behaves.
Any state properties like an RDF, mean structural characteristics, or
potentials of mean force will be unaffected by your choice of thermostat,
but rates of any processes will be. As Gustavo suggested, the safest thing
to do for thermostating when kinetic properties is to use no thermostat at
all (NVE), but this carries its own risks, as there is often strain in the
protein (potential energy) which will become kinetic energy as it is slowly
released--this takes hundreds of ns in reality, even though energy
minimization and a few ns of constant pressure dynamics will relieve the
bulk of the problem. A good compromise for our case may be to use a very
weak Berendsen thermostat (ntt = 1, set tautp to a high value like 1000.0)
or a weak Langevin thermostat (set gamma_ln to a low value like 0.1). In
order to test your setup, you can run a box of water at 298K at see what
the diffusion constant comes out to. For TIP3P the diffusion should come
out to about 5.0 (way too high), but that's what the model does--may not be
what you want if you need kinetic properties of water. A water model like
SPC/E, TIP4P-Ew, or SPC/Eb will have a much more reasonable diffusion
constant around 2.4.

Dave