Re: [AMBER] NPT equilibration at constant pH with protonation states allowed to change

From: Eric Lang <eric.lang.bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 10:12:46 +0000

Dear Jason,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I didn't expect that the fluctuating charges
would have an impact on the density.

Basically, I want to run pH-REMD simulations on a protein that has several
ionisable residues interacting with one another and based on what I have
observed during the NPT equilibration, the fact that all the ionisable
residues are protonated might actually slightly destabilised the overall
structure of the protein. That is why I was willing to run the
equilibration with the protonation states allowed to change.

Another option could be to run the NPT equilibration with restraints on the
alpha carbons and no protonation changes allowed and then release the
restraints during the CpHMD NVT equilibrations on each replica (or first on
a single replica at pH 7 for example and do the split after this first
equilibration). But then I would expect some changes in density after
release of the restraints. Do you think the impact of the fluctuating
charges would be worse? I could also reduce the restraints to a minimum so
the release of them would not have to much impact I guess.

Thank you in advance,

Eric