Re: [AMBER] How to get average from 3 repeated tracjectory

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 11:16:00 -0400

presenting the time course of data that is averaged across 3 runs probably
would not be meaningful. if you want to calculate an average across all 3
runs, you could average data from each, then average the 3 results, or you
can just concatenate the 3 trajectory files in cpptraj and get your data
from that. it still will not be meaningful if you plot it as time dependent
data though. you should think about exactly what you are trying to extract,
and how to do the averaging in a way that makes sense. we can tell you how
to carry out certain data analysis, but you need to think about what you
want your data to show. most often, you will want to draw conclusions from
one of your trajectories, and then use the others as a way to determine how
reliable those conclusions are. sometimes multiple trajectories are used to
gain statistics on timescales of rare events.

so overall there is not a good answer to your question. the answer is yes
you can do what you propose, but it may or may not be useful depending on
what you are trying to average and what you want to learn.