Re: [AMBER] mmpbsa with atomic radii for ff14SB and parmbsc1 atom types

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 08:57:04 -0400

I'm not sure what you mean by hard coded. If you set radii in Leap, they
are not hard coded. Or is it in the mmpbsa.py script that you mean? Just
not sure which program is "PBSA".

Our recent changes to radii are based on comparing GB to explicit water,
but the GB is already fit to PB so in principle it doesn't matter which
implicit solvent is used. Of course it might matter, so you can look into
recent studies where different radii sets are optimized for the type of
work you're doing. Unfortunately I've seen ones for small molecule binding
or for solvation energies, but I have not seen any studies examining the
effect of radii on protein-DNA complexes. You might need to try some
options yourself.