Re: [AMBER] Free energy decomposition of QM/MM-GBSA

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 23:12:07 -0400

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Allen Zou <zycz138.126.com> wrote:

> Dear Amber experts,
>

> It is known that we can perform free energy decomposition using MMPBSA.py,
> but when I do QM/MM MD, I can't use that module to decompose the free
> energy contributions of QM/MM-GBSA. Do you know why

​The simple answer is that QM decomposition was never coded. This is
likely because QM Hamiltonians are not even approximately decomposable like
typical fixed-charge classical force fields are. MM-GBSA can be
approximately pairwise-decomposed (in the nonbonded terms), but QM cannot.

and how we can do that with any other methods?

​Don't use QM on any part of the system.

HTH,