Re: [AMBER] obtain or build parameters for non-natural residues

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 10:12:23 -0400

Hi Aline,

If you want to fight the good fight and make parameters de-novo, I can walk
you through a pipeline for this. It's something I'm (very) actively
developing, but we're just getting ready to submit the manuscript for the
second-generation protein force field. The charges will be relatively
simple to create, and for the cases you've identified I would imagine that
only retyping CB and CG atoms, respectively, would be necessary, which
greatly limits the number of torsion parameters that would need to be
fitted. There are three protein force fields currently distributed with
Amber: ff14SB, ff15ipq, and FB15. The first and third use the Cornell
charges first minted in 1995, which are very much like what you'd get if
you were to use the R.E.D. server that Karl mentioned. The charges on
ff15ipq are of a different breed, using a protocol I developed with some
IBM people in 2010.

Whichever charge set you use, you'll need some new torsions. I would
recommend you inherit backbone torsions from whatever force field you
choose to model your nonstandard amino acids after, and when you do that
it's also a good idea to inherit the charges on backbone atoms. I would
imagine that R.E.D. server lets you peg charges to pre-defined values, but
if not I know exactly how to do this in my AmberTools program.

So, the workflow I'd see here is that you pick one of ff14SB (standard
Amber protein model), ff15ipq (hot off the presses, complete rederivation
of charges and bonded parameters with an updated physics model), or fb15
(ff14SB charges with rederivation of bonded parameters). Then, make your
library files for the amino acids as they will appear in the protein
(main-chain or terminal groups... just need to know about how they connect
to other residues), refit charges appropriate to whichever protein force
field you chose, differentiate the atom types starting at the point along
the side chain that these amino acids become "nonstandard," and finally
make some conformations and do the torsion fitting.

Dave