Re: [AMBER] Best Linux Choice

From: Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 17:48:44 +0000

Hi,

In our lab, we use Ubuntu LTS for all our compute servers. The whole point
of those flavours is stability and they are supported for 5 years, so
anybody recommending for or against Ubuntu based on stability who hasn't
mentioned LTS may not be describing the full picture. ;-) Since you have to
install a bunch of up-to-date software for scientific computing, regardless
of which base distro you use, pick whatever offers reasonable stability and
suits the person doing the work.

On my desktop, I use Arch Linux which has been very stable for me, despite
being able to offer me bleeding edge developer tools.

Mark