Re: [AMBER] Best Linux Choice

From: Karl Kirschner <k.n.kirschner.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 08:55:40 +0200

Hi All,

  I second the use of LinuxMint for workstations. I used OpenSuse for close
to a decade, but switched to LinuxMint ~2 years ago. It primarily uses the
Ubuntu repositories, but it has the best update manager I have seen -
allowing you to choose between 5 different levels (from safe to
hope-you-survive-this-update) for choosing how to update the OS. Installing
scientific software not found in the Ubuntu repos has not been a problem.
(I've also installed it on my 85-year-old mother's computer, and it seems
has performed flawlessly for her.)

For clusters, I have mostly seen some version of Redhat installed
throughout the years.

Bests,
Karl

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 1:13 AM, Ho Leung Ng <hng.hawaii.edu> wrote:

> I agree with Ross about Ubuntu being a poor choice. I originally set up
> most of our lab computers with Ubuntu to provide an easy-to-use environment
> for students. However, the constant updates with Ubuntu wreak havoc with
> the CUDA libraries that we use for Amber. We've had much better success
> with LinuxMint, which is based on Ubuntu but is more conservative and
> stable.
>

> Ho
>
> Ho Leung Ng
> University of Hawaii at Manoa
> Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry
> hng.hawaii.edu

Karl. N. Kirschner, Ph.D.
Research Associate
Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences
Grantham-Allee 20, 54757 Sankt Augustin, Germany