Re: [AMBER] ambpdb error

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:14:31 -0600

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Arati Paudyal <apsilwal123.gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the file. Please excuse my question again but I literally
> don't see any differences between the "fixed" file and the original one
> when I open in wordpad. Could you please elaborate a little bit more here.

Text files are typically filled with hidden characters called control
characters; these are things like tab, newline, etc. When you see a
line in a text file like:

The quick brown fox
jumped over the lazy dog

It really looks something like this

The quick brown fox\n
jumped over the lazy dog\n

The '\n' represents the hidden control character "newline", which
indicates a new line should start. The problem with 'complex_crd.crd'
is that it is missing that last newline character. If you open it up
in a text editor like 'vim' it let's you know this:

"../complex_crd.crd" [noeol][dos] 1979L, 146309C

The "noeol" means "no end of line", i.e. you are missing a terminal newline.

The end result is that when cpptraj reads in the coordinates it looks
like not enough data has been read in because of the missing character
and it throws an error. I'm modifying cpptraj to handle cases where
the terminal newline is missing in Amber restart files.

Hopefully this clears things up.

> Adding a line and then removing it again will bring it to the same
> situation, right? I think I am not understanding this in detail.

When you add the line you will in effect be adding that missing
newline. Even when you remove the extra line the newline in your final
line will remain. Typically the only times you end up with a file that
is missing terminal newlines is due to bugs or disk errors etc.

-Dan