Re: [AMBER] spherical restraint flatwell potentials

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:33:29 -0400

OK, so reading the Gromacs manual (which is a really good how-to on many
things MD, I might add), I see Sphere (g = 1) and Cylinder (g = 2), so from
the rest of your message I am assuming you meant "option (g=1 sphere)."
That's something that Amber can do, but if your system is up to 10,000
atoms then depending on the type of cutoffs you want (a raw Coulomb
interaction will run into lots of problems) you may be better off going to
periodic boundary conditions already. Vacuum simulations are NOT
absolutely faster than simulations in water. The problem is that vacuum
simulations often require a big cutoff to the tune of 15 or 18 Angstroms,
compared to condensed-phase simulations with PBC which take short cutoffs
and the O(N log N) P3M interactions (also called PME).

Another thing to note is that, if all you want is for the molecules to be
confined to a particular region, periodic boundary conditions with NVT
(fixed number of particles, volume, and temperature) or NVE (canonical
ensemble, fixed particle count, volume, and energy) will also give you this
effect. If a particle tries to wander out one side of the box, it just
checks back in the other and sees the same neighbors it used to, perhaps
from a different side. Welcome to the Hotel Periodic.

So if you just want to see molecules bumping into each other in a confined
space I would recommend just taking NVT in PBC, with PMEMD. No spherical
restraint force necessary--the paper you cite sounds like it's using a
duct-tape way to emulate stochastic boundary conditions, but the artifacts
you get are not necessarily any more benign than what would happen with
PBCs. If you just want to put in a number of copies of each molecule and
watch the structures they form, make your boxes cubic, create some PDB
structures of your INDIVIDUAL molecules, and use my AddToBox utility to
randomly place multiple copies of them around a box of your liking. This
will give you a PDB file with an initial structure. For vacuum
simulations, use the tleap command "setBox x vdw 10.0" (where x is the name
of the structure you read in, as in "x = loadPdb <name of PDB>"). For
solution phase simulations, use AddToBox again to add water in the
proportion you want (tleap's solvateBox will not necessarily place the
amount of water you're looking for if there is a target molality). In all
cases, use ChBox to edit the final box dimensions of your system back to
whatever you were using in with AddToBox (tleap will make its own judgments
about what the box dimensions should be, but AddToBox knows about PBCs
already so you can reset the box dimensions).

When you simulate, for the vacuum case and optimal speed I'd recommend
bumping up the cutoff and decreasing the grid density proportionately. If
you're happy enough with the accuracy of the default settings, bump the
cutoff up to 12 and select a value of nfft1, nfft2, and nfft3 (remember,
cubic box) that gives you a grid spacing just shy of 1.5A. That will cut
down on the reciprocal space work by up to three times depending on how
much empty space is in your simulations. For condensed phase simulations,
just stick to the default run conditions (these will be 8A cutoff, grid
spacing just shy of 1A).

Dave