Re: [AMBER] spherical restraint flatwell potentials

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 14:32:18 -0400

Hi Ken!

The best advice I can give here is that Amber isn't a program that does
hard-sphere potentials, so if you want particles to suddenly hit an
infinite wall when they travel within (or outside of) some distance of one
another you'll need a separate code. The closest you could get would be to
use the nmropt (NMR optimization) features to implement HARMONIC restraints
on either side of a flat-bottom potential. Particles connected by such a
potential experience no forces (at least, no forces due to one another) so
long as they are within some small distance of on another, but begin to
experience harmonic attraction as the distance crosses that threshold.

Depending on what exactly you want to simulate, I can recommend different
programs. How many particles (atoms) will your system have? Do you want
periodic boundary conditions, to simulate the effect of having a fairly
elaborate density of material, or are you content to see just a few of
these molecules interact in the gas phase, off in an otherwise empty region
of space?

Dave