[AMBER] RMSD of 0 for coordinated ion

From: Francesco Gentile <fgentile.ualberta.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 22:25:36 -0600

Hello,
I run 100 ns of MD simulations of a protein containing a coordinated
divalent metal ion. When calculating the RMSD, I obtain a value of 0
angstroms for the ion, during the whole trajectory. I visualized the
trajectory and the ion is fluctuating. here it is the script I am using for
cpptraj

trajin ...
center :1-132 mass origin
image origin center familiar
rms first mass out rms_back_bgw.dat ':1-132.CA,C,N' time 2.0
rms first mass out rms_mg_bgw.dat ':133.MG' time 2.0

where residue 1-132 is the protein and 133 is the ion. I also tried to
calculate the ion alone

trajin ...
center :133 mass origin
image origin center familiar
rms first mass out rms_mg_bgw.dat ':133.MG' time 2.0

but still the output is 0 for all the snapshots. Could you suggest me
possible reasons for this strange behaviour? Thanks in advance

--
Francesco Gentile
PhD Student, Biophysics