Re: [AMBER] Production phase for MMPBSA

From: Hannes Loeffler <Hannes.Loeffler.stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 16:30:21 +0000

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 08:53:56 -0500
Arati Paudyal <apsilwal123.gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for all these questions again. As a beginner, I am just trying
> to connect a lot of things here and I apologize in advance if some of
> these questions sound stupid.

Your questions are not stupid but I think you should reread what Jason
has said. What you call "equilibration" is a rather arbitrary label for
the initial part of a simulation (not just heating or pressurising or
whatever your simulation setup protocol does) you would not use for
calculation of averages. How long that takes is really a system
dependent matter and not a decision you can make in advance. Likewise
for how many frames you should use. What you should really be doing is
estimate the correlation time for the property you are interested in.

Dan has suggested in another thread today that you should also look out
for convergence of the property you are interested in e.g. by comparing
the average of a later simulation period to an earlier one and repeat
that for various "blocks" of your trajectory, simple but effective. But
also plot the time series of your property and examine visually how it
is behaving.

HTH,
Hannes.