Re: [AMBER] How to deal with fractional electron unit charges on small molecules??

From: Hannes Loeffler <Hannes.Loeffler.stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 10:52:23 +0000

I think you misunderstand the problem.

What you really see is the finite representation of floating numbers
and the associated problem in rounding. As far as I can see the
antechamber toolchain writes charges with six digits which means that
those figures have already been subject to rounding (or truncation).
Summing up all partial charges may thus not result in an integer charge.

Sander and pmemd will however neutralise any non-zero charges. As long
as this non-zero charge is "small" that should be no problem. If you
still feel that your total charge deviates too much you can
redistribute the charges and write to "higher" precision.
Alternatively, you could modify the antechamber code to write out in
higher precision. But neither changes the nature of the problem.