Re: [AMBER] Water diffusion constant obtained in Nose-Hoover thermostat in Amber14+AmberTools15

From: Tom Kurtzman <simpleliquid.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 08:47:09 -0500

If you want to calculate a diffusion coefficient, don't thermostat your
system. The diffusion coefficient is related to the area under the
velocity-velocity auto-correlation function via a Green-Kubo relationship
and thermostats artificially affect the velocities of particles and hence
give unrealistic results for the velocity auto-correlation funciton.

To get a good value of a diffusion coefficient, run your simulations at
constant energy. If you want the diffusion coefficient at a given
temperature then you should run an ensemble of NVE systems. You can
sample this ensemble by running a long NVT simulation, then selecting
configurations from this simulation that are separated in time by at least
the autocorrelation time of the kinetic energy of the system, and then run
each of those configurations at NVE and average your results.

Please note that the first sentence of the abstract of the above paper (
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct400109a) is incorrect. Systems at
a given temperature can be studied by sampling an ensemble of NVE systems.

TK

Tom Kurtzman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry