Re: [AMBER] premed.MPI warning

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 10:20:26 -0800

Hi All,

Yes that was the original intention - i.e. if a dihedral that should never get used gets used you would get a NAN. Not really needed outside of debugging though but never caused harm in the past. Although it could be coming from other places as well.

I believe the warning is compiler version specific. Normally checking for exceptions cost performance so one doesn't want to bother with it and I thought most compilers at -O3 turned off such exception checking but maybe some specific versions don't do this. George what compiler and version are you using?

A little (30 secs) of digging looks like it might got added in some newer versions of gfortran:

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2013-06/msg00072.html

Note there is this option --fno-underflow-warning. Jason perhaps we should include this in the build flags. Although that probably means checking compiler versions for compatibility with the sign. Sigh...

Note my trusty Gfortran 4.4.7 from Centos 6.7 does not have this flag and neither does 4.8.3 from Centos 7.1 but they do have this:

-Wunderflow
           Produce a warning when numerical constant expressions are encountered, which yield an UNDERFLOW during
           compilation.

So my guess is someone may have enabled this warning by default in newer gfortran versions :-( (don't have any to test unfortunately).

All the best
Ross