Re: [AMBER] PMF

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 08:05:23 -0500

It does depend on what you are doing for the pmf. Is one of these
restraints going to be changed and used for umbrella sampling? If so,you
need it to be strong enough to hold the system at that value of reaction
coordinate, but no stronger since that usually narrows the distribution and
results in the need for closer spacing of windows. But again, I'm not sure
if this is related to what you are doing.

If you need 500 for the positional restraints, you can calculate that
moving 0.1 angstrom away from reference would take a few kcal/mol. That's a
pretty strong restraint. When force constants become very high, you need to
use smaller time steps to maintain the accuracy of the time integration
(and sometime just stability of the MD run). So I would avoid using higher
forces than you actually need.