[AMBER] decomposition energy

From: Fabian gmail <fabian.glaser.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 18:32:29 +0200

Hi

I am calculated the decomposition energy of a ligand, which gives for example the following LYS energies (LIGAND)

LIGAND TOTAL Non-Polar Solv. Polar Solvation Electrostatic van der Waals
L GLU 2 -0.83 -0.24 324.47 -324.93 -0.13
L LYS 9 1.35 -0.05 -327.77 330.10 -0.94
L LEU 7 -3.72 -0.46 2.29 -1.90 -3.65

I have a couple of questions:

1) I don’t really understand why the electrostatics and polar solvation energies in teh case of LYS and GLU almost neutralize each other, so that the contribution of a charge residue is almost non-existent, why is so?? They do form hydrogen bonds with water or the other receptor residues.

2) Looking at the total ligand decomposition the total dg on a different case comes almost exclusively from the vDWaals term, is that normal?

LIGAND TOTAL Non-Polar Solv. Polar Solvation Electrostatic van der Waals
ALL LIG RES -38.55 -5.66 46.27 -40.95 -38.21

The total energies look good.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Fabian

Dr. Fabian Glaser
Head of the Structural Bioinformatics section

Bioinformatics Knowledge Unit - BKU
The Lorry I. Lokey Interdisciplinary Center for Life Sciences and Engineering
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, ISRAEL

fglaser at technion dot ac dot il
Tel: +972 4 8293701
http://bku.technion.ac.il