Re: [AMBER] Questions about TI

From: <hannes.loeffler.stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 09:35:58 +0000

I think a few things here should be clarified.

The first question to answer is whether the transformation is an "absolute" one or a relative one. Those two should be clearly distinguished in this discussion.

For absolute free energy a "one-step" protocol seems to be working fine. By "one-step" I mean the simultaneous transformations of all force field terms at the same time with the same lambda value (in Gromacs-speak they all follow the same lambda path). I am not sure what a "three-step" protocol in this context would mean. What is done in practice though is to separate the electrostatic transformation from the vdW transformation which would make it a "two-step" protocol in the definition above. Setup for absolute transformation is trivial with AMBER. For the two-step protocol the user would necessarily need to set crgmask to the TI mask.

When I say that the one-step protocol fails I mean this in the context of _relative_ transformations. Personally, I have found this to produce wildly wrong results in case of rather small organic molecules. A two-step protocol, i.e. transform charges from V0 to V1 first and next transformation of vdW+bonded(*) terms (or vice versa depending on which state has the vanishing atoms), seems to be particularly useful. This does not, however, work when both states have vanishing/appearing atoms. In this case a three-step protocol can come in use. The practical question, however, is how to deal with the charge transformation. I am not sure why setting the charge of the whole molecule would mean that convergence is slow. After all it is a simple linear transformation and the gradients tend to be rather smooth. The problem with only setting parts of the charges to zero is that this means that you will most likely create a fractional total charge on the molecule. While the PME code principally neutralises the simulation system, it still feels unnatural.

(*) One could also combine the bonded terms with the electrostatics but this is considerably more difficult to set up with leap and would involve a post-processing step of the parmtop (parmed is your friend here).

The number of windows in a TI calculation will necessarily depend on the shape of the resulting gradient. If the gradient varies too much in a region you will probably want to add additional lambda points (and that's the advantage of TI). For convergence you will need to look at the actual data. Prescribing a certain amount of simulation time is not too useful as this may be very much system-dependent and also lambda-dependent. The crucial point here is to look at the correlation which can be very much lambda-dependent too.

Thanks for pointing out these shortcomings from the tutorial. I will see to get them fixed.
Hannes.