Re: [AMBER] Gaussian Accelerated Molecular Dynamics

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 19:32:32 -0800

Hi Filip,

Maxwell (Titan-X, M60 and ...) is currently supported by AMBER 14. We have a new precision model SPXP that I am currently testing for stability that adds about 25% performance boost to Maxwell architectures. Pascal (and in particular NVLink support) is in the works - whether it is in the AMBER release or as a patch will depend on NVIDIA timing and various NDA obligations etc. I don't have any numbers to give you yet for Pascal but stand by.

What we are hoping to have for AMBER 16 (in addition to a number of additional features) is a better multi-GPU implementation aimed at the new PCI-e switched based P2P systems. These offer P2P over 4 or 8 GPUs. GB scales very well to 8 GPUs on these systems and the hope is that we'll get PME scaling well as well - at least much better on 4 GPUs and possibly to 8.

Timeframes on all of this (AMBER 16 at release vs update patch for AMBER 16) are going to be flexible depending on how much other (read pointless administrative) demands are put on my time and those helping. Right now the NSF funding for the AMBER GPU support has expired - I am hoping to get this renewed and if it is we'll see an acceleration in the time scale for a lot of this effort.

All the best
Ross