Re: [AMBER] REMD to sample the conformational space of a defined part of the system

From: Sergey Samsonov <sergeys.biotec.tu-dresden.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:11:21 +0200

Hi Jason,

it is technically obvious that no positional restraints would help in
speeding up the calculations. At the same time, I have the following
related question: in a REMD simulation I should choose a number of
replicas roughly rpportional to the square root of the number of atoms
in the system. If I fix 'the rest of the protein', I'm dealing with
definitely less degrees of freedom sampled than if I'm leaving all the
residues free to move. So I would need to have less replicas to deal
with the part of the system. Am I correct? In case I leave everything
free the simulations seems to be to be not feasible at all...

To make it more clear, here is a short description of my system. I have
8 N-terminal residues, which are very flexible, whereas the 9th is a Cys
residue forming an S-S bridge. The rest of the protein starting from the
residue 9 has a well-defined stable protein core. My interest is to
study the conformations of the flexible N-terminus and not to describe
the motions of the whole protein, though for sure they are some way
definitely interconnected. In particular, I'm just interested in the
probability of some specific conformations of N-terminus.

Or maybe just a very long (let's say ~10 microseconds) classical
unrestrained MD simulation would be more appropriate to make such an
analysis?

Thanks a lot for your help and cheers,

Sergey

--